Monday 14 October 2013

Musing Mondays {Oct14}




Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it! 
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
I have a bit of a rant today :

I won an Ipad Mini in March and have been taking a look at ibooks both the "free" and the "paid" ones.
I have long had a sort of distrustful view of ibooks and ebooks ,when it comes to the self published i really want to scream .
The problems are many:

 1.Just because you intend it to be "free" DON'T forgo spelling ,grammar and punctuation!
If i find an ibook or ebook in what looks like "Text Speak" I discard and mark the author as don't touch. 
If you went for a job interview and submitted your CV in "text speak" you would not get the job.

2.Don't insult the intelligence of your readers , two well known authors have spent the past year and a half denigrating the readership  of a genre ! Don't jump off the sane metaphorical cliff.

3.If you self publish get a good editor and a proof reader. Your readers want to read the book not spend their time spell checking !

4.Give first time authors a chance .When i read the reviews of first time authors I sometimes feel like screaming . 
It isn't necessary to be overly harsh , try writing a book of any length yourself and see how easy it is.

These are just some observations .

8 comments:

  1. I completely agree--I feel that quality should be the main goal--not just being about to say "I'm published!". If I see lots of typos or grammar errors, that usually tells me it's time to move on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2013/10/musing-mondays_14.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when a book has a ridiculous amount of errors, it really puts me off the book. My MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. If there were a lot of spelling errors I wouldn't even finish the first chapter, let alone the whole book.


    Sonia Lal

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post. I would love to win an Ipad mini. Here is my
    MM

    I am a new follower. Would love to have you follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. eBooks with lots of errors are frustrating and I quickly lose patience with them. Heres my musing: http://daystarz.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/musing-mondays-11/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you. There is no excuse for bad grammar! I don't like reading on my iPad though, how do you deal with the glare?
    http://cupandchaucer.wordpress.com/2013/10/14/musing-mondays-october-14/

    ReplyDelete